Sunday, February 10

Stumble Upon Toolbar
Well, Super Tuesday has come and gone, and what we're left with is rather surprising. Certainly no one expected John McCain to come out on top. There are very few conservatives that I met that would vote for him. Apparently, the Democratic game plan is to paint him as a cronie of G. W. Bush's. How they'll do that, I don't know, but I'm assuming it involves magic, since, although I am no fan of either McCain or Bush, I wouldn't really put them in the same category. And Romney dropped out, which is unfortunate, because that was the "lesser of two evils" I was gonna end up voting for. Oh well. I'll just find myself a Bahamanian island to live on for the next 4-8 years.

Also, the Hollywood Writer's strike is finally nearing it's end, which is good news to those of us who crave TV as a small bit of escapism. Funnily enough, unions came up in political economy the other day, and the question of whether strikes were effective anymore was raised. The only one any of us could think of was the Writer's Strike. Unfortunately, people don't think that picket lines are serious within the union anymore. I don't know but that I can't justify paying a bagger at a grocery store 9 bucks an hour with a 401k, and I don't understand why people are actually threatened with violence for disagreeing (before you say I'm wrong and exaggerating, it's a real example from the grocery worker's strike in San Diego about ten or twelve years ago. I didn't give a damn at the time, I just wanted my stinking Oreos...) It's something that stuck in my head, because I wonder about organized labor every now and again. Starbucks isn't unionized, and while I'd like to get paid more then 7.20 an hour to make your drink, I know it's hard to justify it to anyone who hasn't done the job, and the benefits, had I wanted them, were really good, especially for a part time job. We got that without a union, and I know full well that it was because the unions swept through all industries in the 20's and 30's that the company didn't think twice before laying out a good benefits package. But I wonder, sometimes, if we out grow our secondary institutions, like unions. And I wonder if such speculation is even worth it, because, after all, it's the intellectuals that seem to start the wars. That's what I get for being immersed in the Enlightenment and French Revolution in humanities I guess.

Two other quick notes: This I'm just not sure about. I understand that the modern man likes his deep thought, when at all possible, in the quickest easiest form (just look at network news). But cutting the Sermon on the Mount out of your version of the Bible because there's not enough action? I'm wondering about the wisdom of that....

Other quick note? It's nothing really... I got engaged Friday night.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home