Wednesday, January 23

Stumble Upon Toolbar
I know I said I wouldn't be on again... I lied. I'm just thinking about my thesis and realizing that I have these grand plans... and I don't know if I'll be able to pull them off. I know I don't exactly have a large readership, but if anyone has any tips on completing a thesis while also carrying a full course load, doing 9 hours of work study, studying for comps, and applying to grad school, I'd appreciate it. Or, you know, your favorite song that helped you from going crazy during any point of stress or... anything.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I just found your blog through Mackenzie's. I have some advice: don't sweat comps. They're not as hard as you might except, assuming that you've been a reasonably diligent student. On second thought, maybe you should verify that with someone in your major.

As for thesis-writing, take my advice with a grain of salt, since my thesis ended up being exactly the nebulous, overreaching sort of affair you probably want to avoid: but I can recommend a practice which I found salutary insofar as I employed (which is to say, twice). I called it the "five-minute thesis: I set a timer, and attempted to state my position on paper before the time expired. I think if I had done it a few more times I might have actually figured out what my thesis was about.

Try to compile a bibliography ahead of time, if you haven't already been required to do so. Take a few days to figure out what you want to read before you dive in. Try to stick to the program as much as you can, even though it's tempting to read everything that seems like it might be relevant. You don't have time to write a dissertation, so don't try to be too comprehensive in your research.

That's all I've got. Hope you're well!

7:57 PM, January 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home